God's thoughts save the day

Boy, oh boy. Some days it doesn't take much to knock the wind right out of my sails.

I woke up this morning with the hymn "Heaven Came Down (and Glory Filled My Soul)" playing in my head. Where that tune came from, heaven only knows (yeah, probably it was heaven sent). I came to school with that song in my heart and actually sang a verse and a chorus with some of the teachers in our morning meeting. What a way to start the day! Everything was going just swell until I got some news that saddened me about a couple of students, and all the glory that had filled my soul since the morning flew right out the window. After lunch, I was not much good at the church staff meeting, because the news had my head spinning.

As I walked up the sidewalk back to my office around 2 o'clock, I tried to recapture the joy that song had given me in the morning. I prayed one of those "Help me, Jesus!" prayers since there was really nobody else to dump my burden on, and what came to me was this thought: 

"You learned that song when you were just a little kid, because your folks brought you to church and Sunday school. You haven't sung that song for decades, but you still had it inside of you somewhere, and God brought it back to mind. Don't worry about those kids. The investment made in them will not return void."

* If you are a teacher reading this, don't get weary in well doing. Your life is making an eternal impact.
* If you are a parent reading this, keep your child "under the spout where the glory pours out" - in church, in Sunday school, in Youth group, in Christian school, in Vacation Bible school, in Christian youth camp - wherever your child will be ministered to by the Word and the amazing, unconditional love of God.
* If you are a student reading this, please believe me - you will never regret getting to know God, his love, and his Word in deep and personal way. Get to know God while you are young, and don't make Him an abstract and impersonal part of your life - He's as necessary as the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. Don't try to live without Him.

Having said that, I think I am better now. 

(Thanks, Mom and Dad, for all you did to help me get to know God. Nothing else you've done shows me how much you love me than the sacrifices you made to introduce me to my Creator and Savior.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IKEA Trip (For My Friends in GGCA's 7th Grade)

A Week in the Life...

Days of Fog and Fruit