GGCA 2015 Graduation Thoughts

I was just looking back at what I wrote about a year ago just before the GGCA high school graduation ceremony. It seems like so long ago and so far away. Yes, the Internet has made it possible for us to see and hear each other almost anywhere at any time. I was just talking to my parents from my living room here in Uijeongbu to their living room in Scarborough, Maine via FaceTime. I got to speak to some GGCA students via Skype last week and see their faces on Missions Day.

But it's not the same as being there in person.

I will admit that I do not miss dressing up in a suit and tie and marching down the aisle onto the platform and being the host of a graduation ceremony. I always felt someone else should be doing that and that I should be sitting in the back row on the platform, ready to announce the graduate's names or something useful like that.

But that's not what God had in mind.

If I may be allowed to say something to this year's graduating class here in my blog, it is this:

Get ready. 

God put you on this planet for a purpose and everything up to this point in your lives has been planning and preparation for that purpose. The parents you have? God planned them. The teachers you had? God put them there in your lives. All those moments of joy and sorrow, excitement and boredom, pleasure and pain? They were no accident. Those wonderful friends you've made and those people who have made you want to tear out your hair, punch a wall, and scream? All of them were for your sake to make you into the person you are becoming in Christ.

God is calling.

Don't worry about what God wants you to do. Just be who God is making you to be. Be Jesus Christ, live and in person. Not through anything you could ever do. Be Jesus just by letting Him live in you and through you in your everyday lives. Breathe Him in and breathe him out.  Receive freely then freely give. If there's one thing I hope you've learned in all your years at GGCA and in your church and your family life, it is how to receive the love and grace of God for your lives. You're going to need it because, usually, life turns out quite different from the way we planned or imagined it would. And I think it's best when we decide to go along with what God has in mind.

Success is being the person God has always had in His mind for you to be. 

How? Walk with Him, and He will be faithful to let you know. It's how I ended up being here in Korea instead of there in Baltimore with all of you on this special day. Jesus said, "Follow me," and I said, "Okay." It all begins by saying "Yes" to God.

Congratulations for all you've accomplished thus far on your journey, Class of 2015! 

Love, Mr. Dunbar 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IKEA Trip (For My Friends in GGCA's 7th Grade)

A Week in the Life...

Days of Fog and Fruit