Yes, I Made it to Korea

I have been in Korea since Thursday, July 17, but this is my first opportunity to sit down with my computer and write this blog entry, because I have had no Internet access other than momentary WiFi borrowed in various places, and also because my life has been very busy. Today, I will take a few moments to update you about my story thus far.

On Wednesday, July 16, I woke up at 1:45 AM to leave my parents' home in Scarborough, Maine to travel to Logan Airport in Boston, Massachusetts to catch my 6 AM flight to San Francisco. Along with my my parents and I, my brother Doug rode through the wee hours of the morning, since Doug was catching a 5:30 AM flight to Baltimore from Logan. I was the first to be dropped off at my terminal, and with just some quick hugs and goodbyes, I entered the United Airlines terminal with my two pieces of luggage and a carry-on. I figured out how to check myself in and then went through security to wait at my gate. My parents texted me to say they had arrived home safely before my flight took off. The flight to San Francisco was uneventful. My breakfast was a can of Coke Zero. The inflight food was pricey and not to my liking.
 On the ground in San Francisco, I had no time to eat as I had to hike a bit to find my gate, and suddenly I was surrounded by Koreans heading back to their homeland. We all boarded the flight and settled in for a long journey filled with sitting, eating, sleeping, and watching inflight video fare. Sitting on the aisle, I could not sleep, even if God had granted me that ability, since I was jostled by the serving carts and the folks making their way to the nearby restrooms.


On the ground in Korea, I passed through immigration and customs without any problems and met Pastor Steve DeVries who awaited me. He drove me to my new home here in Seoul. I am living with an older couple in an apartment conveniently located near a subway entrance and the bus lines. I will tell you more about these people later. I have my own room in the apartment complete with a twin bed, a desk and chair, a dresser with a mirror, a fan, a window, and now, thanks be to God, Internet access so that I can communicate with all of you who read my blog. I am grateful for this provision and for the kindness I have been shown by the people here. 

I will conclude this blog entry with some pictures of my room. I am about to head out to the store to try to purchase a power transformer that will enable me to plug in my devices to U.S. style outlets. This will be an adventure for me, finding my way to a new place via the subway system. Every day is a literal walk and ride of faith for me as I try to figure out how to get around the city, which is vast, and where to find the things I need, like a haircut. 

Thank you for your prayers and financial support. I will write more later after I return from my explorations.




Comments

  1. Glad to know that you got there safely. I am trying to get caught on your blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IKEA Trip (For My Friends in GGCA's 7th Grade)

A Week in the Life...

Days of Fog and Fruit